Sunday, January 30, 2011

Battle with the Post-Bridal Bulge: Week 1

I apologize for the length of this post, but it will be the start of a series and a little background information is necessary....

Like every bride, I wanted to look my best on my wedding day. It's the day that I will think back on with the fondness of memories, a day that will be documented by countless photos that will, undoubtedly, gain laughter and criticism from my children one day. So it was important to me to look and feel my best on this special day.

With this in mind, I started Memphis Adventure Boot Camp to get into shape. To be truthful, I, along with my husband, was not sure I could to it. So to ensure my success, I recruited my two ever-faithful neighbors to join me and hold me accountable (read: join in my misery). Together we went to Boot Camp (most) mornings at 5:30 a.m. June through September. And while I detested getting up at 5 am in the morning, once I was there, I loved it.

Our instructor is tough, but no drill sergeant. He pushes us to do better and listens to our whining (for a while), but keeps us focused on our goals. Each of us had different goals; mine was to have a "beach body." I wanted to look good in that picture of Ryan and I on the beach for our honeymoon*! So while doing an exercise or drill that was difficult or annoying, I just kept telling myself "beach body, beach body!" as a reminder of why I was putting myself and my body through this.

So, to fast-forward a bit, at the end of my 4 months at Boot Camp, I had great results. I looked great, I felt great and I had made significant changes in my measurements. I was on fire. See?



Then I got married.

Then I got fat.

I guess I shouldn't say that. Perhaps I should say I got lazy. I stopped going to Boot Camp and now I'm the proud new owner of a stubborn muffin top that has forced me to go buy (larger) jeans. I've used every excuse in the book not to go to Boot Camp (it's too cold outside, I didn't sleep well last night, etc) but the excuses didn't make my muffin-top go away. I had to go back.

See, the interesting thing about my relationship with Boot Camp is that I really do love it. It's a challenging workout, with a great group of women who encourage and motivate one another. I really enjoy it once I get there and feel recharged and energized once I'm done. I just struggle with getting me and my muffin-top out of bed and out of the house. Once I pick up the neighbors to go, I'm totally fine.

So last week I started back to Boot Camp. Our instructor Dexter and the other women that I suffered err, worked out with, last summer were so encouraging when Lori and I returned. And it felt good. The workout was great and I didn't freeze my buns off, so that's a plus. I felt amazing. After Boot Camp I returned home and had so much energy, I started cleaning the house and jumped right into my work for the day. I was so productive on Monday. I just wanted to bottle that feeling because I knew that around 3 pm, I would crash. And of course I did. But that's ok. Because I went to bed early that night and woke up refreshed for Boot Camp Tuesday morning.

So let me get to the point (while glossing over the fact that I skipped working out on Wednesday because I was just too sore to move). I know myself and I know that I will let myself off the hook if given the chance. I will rationalize and justify so much it's shameful. So that's the point of sharing my journey on our blog. I need your help to keep me accountable. I will share my progress and slip ups, challenges, goals, and fears right here. Because I know that if I have to write that I skipped out on Boot Camp for a week, you guys will (lovingly) call me out. Right?

So here goes.

Beginning measurements:
  • Weight: up 11 lbs since September!
  • Arms: 22 mm
  • Waist: 32 mm
  • Legs: 22 mm

Oops, I....:
  • Fast Food Indiscretion: Thursday: McDonald's #10 (Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich + cheese + yummy fries)

Proud Because I...: 
  • Accidentally slept in on Thursday, but went to the 5:30 pm class to make it up
  • Opted for Subway instead of Wendy's while Ryan was in the ER.
  • Ate yogurt twice this week as a snack
  • Asked the waiter to take away the hush puppies that came with my meal
  • Worked my arms at Life Time Fitness on Friday because I missed that workout on Wednesday

Goal for this week:
  • No fast food. (This will be hard because I'm supposed to take Michael Chick-Fil-A at school on Monday. What can I get instead?)

Fat Fact: 
  • According to Experience Life magazine, in less than two decades, more than 85 percent of our population will be overweight or obese.

If you are interested in Memphis Adventure Boot Camp, please check it out here. Or find them on Facebook. I'd love for you to be my guest as you try it out!

Thanks in advance for your support!! I WILL have (more of) a beach body by our trip to Aruba in March!

*Ironically, we never took the "beach photo" I'd worked so hard to prepare for! We definitely will in Aruba!

3 comments:

  1. You GO girl! p.s. I would give anything to be 126 pounds! I hear ya about the post bridal buldge! YOU are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you Meghan...I'm back! Memphis Adventure Boot Camp here I come!

    Dy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan, I love this post. I gained 10 pounds since we got married. How does this happen??? I'm on a mission to lose with you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete