Thursday, January 20, 2011

GUILTY!

I am definitely guilty of this...how about you?

How Name-Brand Discount Stores Trick You Into Spending More: The Discount Store Paradox

Sometimes there is great irony in being in debt. I can't tell you how much money I frittered away needlessly in the name of being a "savvy shopper."

The Discount Store ParadoxThis trap is particularly perilous at my favorite haunts: Marshalls, TJ Maxx, HomeGoods - you know, all of those name-brand discount stores that do their best to fool you into thinking that the more you spend, the more you save! It's a great paradox, and sadly, one that I have grappled with for much of my adult life.

If you're like me, you get carried away with those retail vs. markdown price tags. Take this purse that I took a vague interest in for a second. Turns out its $49.95. But... the original price was $89.95! A purse that expensive must be something great (even better if I'm familiar with the label)! And here I'm getting this good deal on it, almost half off! And certainly I will use this purse at some point, even though I have more than a few perfectly serviceable ones at home, right?

This pattern of thinking (or not thinking) is how so many nice but completely impulse-driven items made their way into my cart, my closet, and my credit card statement. Ahh, the rationalization of luxury...

Now that I am two years into "learning my lesson the hard way," I have come up with some coping skills to get through my occasional shopping trips. They are especially handy at this time of year, for sure. Here is the mental checklist I go through before committing to a want-based purchase:
  • Evaluate the item on its own merits. Am I considering this item only because it's on clearance, or because I actually really want it? Would I buy this thing if it were full price? Was I looking for this item before coming in the store, or do I just want it because I'm looking at it? Is it on my "to-do" list in terms of purchasing priority?
  • Determine quality. Sometimes discounted items are dinged, missing buttons, have a loose hem, etc. I ask myself if it's something that will hold up over the long term and is something I will wear or use frequently enough for the price it commands.
  • Picture where the item will be in a month's time. This strategy really, really works for me. Often I conclude that the item will clutter my life more than integrate into it. And I have enough clutter, thank you very much!
  • Walk away for a bit. If the item is not something I had intended to buy in the first place, I try to leave the store without it, promising myself that if I still want it in a week (and it's still there), I'll go for it. Do you know how easy it is to forget about "stuff"? Try it.
At the end of the day, I still do appreciate (and frequent) these discount chains because I have scored some excellent things at a reasonable price. Like anything else in life, just don't go nuts. Anyone have similar strategies? I need to arm myself as the shopping season gets underway full-tilt!
 

2 comments:

  1. What is HomeGoods? And how can they steal more money from me like Marshalls and TJ Maxx??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are popular up north...I searched their site and "No stores found within a 50 mile radius of 38119." was my answer. Here's the site: http://www.homegoods.com.

    ReplyDelete