Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving Week In Review

Last week was a perfect week by all accounts. 

Couples Bunco with the Usual Suspects Monday night was a great time. Ryan and I didn’t win, but we had a great time with all of our friends.

Ryan and I took off work Wednesday through Friday and enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing Thanksgiving holiday with each other, our family and friends. I worked ½ a day and lounged around the house with the husband the rest of the day. It was so nice to just kick back, relax, and watch the latest terrible movie Ryan rented.

Thursday we journeyed out to Olive Branch to have Thanksgiving with our family. This year was especially special (can you even say that?) for several reasons. First, Ryan’s parents, Momma Sue and Papa Ric joined us at my parent’s house. We had several of my family’s Thanksgiving staples, and enjoyed some Heimke favorites as well. Pureed cauliflower, homemade rolls and pumpkin tort are now officially a staple in my Thanksgivings. Wesley was super-adorable (as always) and Michael’s appetite rivaled that of a sumo wrestler. As evidenced when he devoured this turkey leg, leaving only bones.

Friday was another lazy day for us. No early morning shopping for this girl. I value my sleep way too much to stay up late and get up early for that craziness. My sleep is worth more than whatever savings I might stumble upon. And most of our Christmas presents have already been purchased and are under the tree, so I definitely didn’t see the need.

Friday afternoon was dedicated to Christmas decorating. Honestly, I have been looking forward to this for a month! We turned on the Christmas music, trimmed our tree, set out our Christmas candles and stockings.  We’re all set for Santa now!

On Friday night Ryan and I went ice skating at the Memphis Zoo with The Gatewoods (our BFF’s). I have never been ice skating before and I must admit that I have ZERO skills in this department. Ryan was (naturally) very good at it, as he has skated his entire life. And Megan and Justin were very stable on the ice too- they even looked comfortable. I guess I just don’t have the coordination for this, as evidenced by this:



None the less, the ice skating rink was great fun and is a huge plus for Memphis. 

Saturday night we celebrated Justin’s 30th birthday! Megan and Justin are always exceptional hosts and this party was no exception. Good food, good wine and good friends. You just can’t beat it. 


Sunday we treated ourselves to another delicious meal. This time, we went to brunch at Restaurant Iris. I admit I am a bit biased, but DAMN, this food is good. 


No, Ryan and I are not pigs. We only ordered two entrees; we were served 4. And I am ashamed at how close we came to finishing all four plates. It’s just that dang good.



Listen to me when I say: If you have not tried Restaurant Iris, you are doing yourself (and your palate) a disservice. Seriously.

Naturally, Ryan and I feel into a deep, delicious food coma as soon as we returned home. Again, heavenly. 

Monday morning rolled around and our work life began again. It’s been a great week, but I think mostly because we were able to disconnect from work and recharge with our family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment