Friday, March 4, 2011

Battle with the Post-Bridal Bulge: Week 6


AVOIDING THE CRASH

So I’ve been back to Memphis Adventure Boot Camp for six weeks now and I am still loving it! I love camaraderie and encouragement that I get working out with these ladies every day, the feeling of accomplishment I get when we’ve wrapped up our hour, and I most definitely  enjoy the results I am seeing. But perhaps most shocking is that I actually look forward to Boot Camp every day. Weird.

I love the intense workouts in the morning - I'm completely refreshed and energized going into the work day. But I'm crashing in the afternoons. So I asked Dexter Tenison of Memphis Adventure Boot Camp for suggestions on how to fix this problem.

One of the most common reasons people have a crash during the late morning or afternoon hours may be due to not eating a correct balance of lean proteins and natural, complex carbohydrates. What I mean is people tend to carb load with the donut and coffee with extra sugar, forgetting the back-to- basics eating style like an egg omelet  that has good veggies in it. Secondly, most women (men are in violation too) tend to not eat enough calories to support their exercise AND work. A third thing could be you are eating too many carbs compared to your activity level before the crash. Carbohydrate intake should always be based activity level.
My suggestions are:
1. Eat a balanced meal of lean proteins and natural carbohydrates. Eat more like the cave man and woman and stick to foods that didn’t have to be refined. Examples of refined foods are: donuts, ice cream, crackers, breads, pastas. Please tell me when a pasta tree comes along because I am putting one in my back yard!

2. Eat more (calories) within the meal before the time you have been experiencing crashes. Have the balanced meal and see what that does. If this makes it worse, then your calories were too high. If it makes it better, then you know that your calories were too low.

3. Most of the world takes a siesta during the mid day. For some reason, we Americans think we are superhuman and can work, work, work. I suggest a small nap, even if it's 10 or so minutes.
I’m not sure napping is realistic for me, but I’d love to try it!! You know how I love to sleep; maybe it would keep me from falling asleep on the couch at 8 pm!

Beginning measurements:
  • Weight: 126 (up 11 lbs since September!)
  • Arms: 22 mm
  • Waist: 32 mm
  •  Legs: 22 mm
  • % of Body Fat: 28.99%
  • 36.53 lbs of Body Fat
  • 89.47 lbs of Lean Body Weight
Week 6 measurements:
  • Weight: 123.5 lbs (down 2.5 lbs since December)
  • Arms: 16 mm (down 6 mm!)
  • Waist: 22 mm (down 10 mm!!!)
  • Legs: 16 mm (down 6 mm)
  • % of Body Fat: 17.15% (down 11.84%) *My goal is to be at 15% body fat...I’m almost there!
  • 21.19 lbs of Body Fat (down 15.34 lbs!)
  • 102.31 lbs of Lean Body Weight (up 12.84 lbs!)
Oops I…:
  • Had a Dr. Pepper
  • Am not participating in the 14 Day Fat Flush because I’m chicken and I really enjoy food
  • Had a Bagel Roll and a Philadelphia Roll this week for lunch. I heart cream cheese.
Proud that I…:
  • Went to Boot Camp all five days this week
  • Am going to Boot Camp’s Saturday class tomorrow
  • Am recognizing when my portions are too large
  • Ate breakfast every morning
  • Have lost 15.34 lbs of body fat in 6 weeks!!!
FAST-FOOD FIXES
A healthy diet doesn't have to stop just because you're in a rush. Use these ordering strategies to safely navigate fast-food drive-throughs.

JILL WALDBIESER, Women’s Health Magazine

Burger King
Ask for a Veggie Whopper (not to be confused with the BK Veggie Burger, which has 400 calories— surprisingly, 160 more than a single hamburger). This includes all the trappings of the Whopper—tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, ketchup, pickles, and onions on a toasted sesame-seed bun—minus the meat patty.  Save: 240 calories, or get a Whopper Jr. (with meat) and save 330 calories

Pizza Hut
Order any pie "fit 'n delicious" style to get half the cheese and extra sauce and veggies. Save: 400 calories for a personal pie; 100 to 300 calories per slice of a medium pizza

Starbucks
Order any hot beverage in a "short" size and they'll shrink your drink to an eight-ounce cup.  Save: 140 to 350 calories Add protein powder to any drink. For 30 calories, you'll add six grams of protein and one gram of fiber.

Subway
Order any sandwich as a salad. Save: Up to 520 calories (depending on the size of the sandwich)

Wendy's
Ask for a "veggie" burger to get a sandwich sans patty. Save: 220 calories, or get a junior-size hamburger and save 90 calories

1 comment:

  1. You are doing so awesome at this! Motivating me to get up and move, too! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete