Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November 17 is a REALLY special day

November 17 holds much significance for my family. It’s a day that three of our most precious loved ones share a birthday. Here’s a little bit about all three of them:

First up: Wesley Elizabeth Washburn
Two years ago, God blessed our family with this precious child who is- without a doubt- a perfect combination of all of the wonderful attributes her parents possess. Wesley is a “girls girl;” she loves dressing up and will choose a “swishy skirt” above any other item of clothing in her closet. She is quiet in large crowds until she’s comfortable- then she’s ready to entertain you. She loves her Squishy, Yo Gabba Gabba and can belt out a mean “Twinkle, Twinkle.” Wesley is one of my life’s greatest blessings and I am so proud to be her Sissy.

Jo Ann Washburn (Momma Jo)
Momma Jo would have been 81 years old today. Almost 2 years ago, our merciful Savior brought her to Heaven to end her suffering here on Earth. While it was painful for us and we still miss her every day, I know that she is in Heaven where she can move freely, where she remembers everyone’s names and where she is, undoubtedly, passing out peppermints. This Thanksgiving I am going to attempt to make Momma Jo’s famous mac-n-cheese. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about it- it’s a lot of pressure. But I know she’d be proud of me for trying! I love and miss you Momma Jo.

William H. Locke (Grandaddy)
Wesley and Momma Jo also share a birthday with my Grandaddy Locke. He was a man that loved his family fiercely and made sure that we all knew it. Grandaddy would call each of us each Saturday morning; we all had a time slot (mine was 10 am, Matt’s was 10:30 am). If he didn’t reach us then, he’d keep calling until he did. Faithfully each week, he would call to check on us. I miss my Saturday morning calls more than I thought I would. Grandaddy passed away peacefully in his sleep last spring. While it was completely unexpected, I am grateful that he did not experience any suffering. I know that today was difficult for Grandmomma, but I continue to pray for peace and comfort for her daily.

So how cool is that? My maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother shared a birthday with their great-grandchild! And it turns out I have a second-aunt or something whose birthday is today AND so is my good friend Jenny (Williams) Earl's.

We will celebrate Wesley's birthday on Saturday with a Yo Gabba Gabba celebration. I will be sure to post lots of pictures of the birthday girl and party.

Happy birthday, Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment